Friday, October 26, 2007

Fried Green Tomatoes

I love the movie "Fried Green Tomatoes" I own it, I watch it - it's a great story. So, when you think about it, I've seen them eat their fried green tomatoes quite a few times and my mouth waters every time. This week I finally decided to take the leap and make them myself. I looked up the recipe online and got to work! Boy did they smell good! I was imagining the first bite....yummy southern deep-fried goodness MMmmmmm! Well, with the first bite I realized that I was dreaming of some kind of krunchy sweetness, ummmm no. For anyone wondering, fried green tomatoes taste kind of like fried squash. Except, depending on the tomato, you get a strong or mild tartness. They were okay, just not what my imaginiation had been planning on. Ahhh the power of the mind! :)

If anyone's interested, here is the recipe I used, although I think switching up the milk for buttermilk might taste better...I just didn't have any on hand.


Fried Green Tomatoes

3 medium, firm green tomatoes
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup milk
2 beaten eggs
2/3 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper

1. Cut unpeeled tomatoes into 1/2 inch clices. Sprinkle slices with salt and pepper. Let stand for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, place flour, milk, eggs and cornmeal in separate shallow dishes.

2. Heat 2 Tbsp. of olive oil in a skillet on medium heat. Dip tomato slices in milk, then flour, then eggs, then cornmeal. In the skillet, fry half of the coated tomato slices at a time, for 4-6 minutes on each side or until brown. As you cook the rest of the tomatoes, add olive oil as needed. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

4 comments:

MommyKnows said...

Might have to give that a try!

Patriot said...

YUM - you're making me hungry!

New giveaway this week for American made toys! Come on over to check it out - and spread the word!

Have a fantastic week!!

Debo Hobo said...

Yummy, fried green tomatoes both the movie and the appetizer are great!

Katy said...

i don't like tomatoes...but i LOVE the movie Fried Green Tomatoes!!! :)