Sunday, March 9, 2008

The Foreigner

I feel like I live with a 2-year-old foreigner. Seriously, you moms that have toddlers must understand what I’m talking about! I love that Noah is talking; I wouldn’t have it any other way, but most days I feel like I need an interpreter to understand what the heck he wants. For example: “nana” means banana, Hannah (aunt), Leigh Anna (uncle’s GF) and sometimes Gina (aunt).

And he also points and grunts a lot.


Noah: points at phone

Me:“Phone”

Noah:“go?”

Me:“Yep, phone”

Noah: points at snow

Me:“Snow”

Noah:“no?”

Me:“yes, snow”

Points at water bottle

Me:“Water”

Noah:“Wa-wa?” (giggle)

Me:“Nope, you drink out of your cup”

This goes on all day long. And the worst is when he’s super upset because he wants something, but he’s using a word that you don’t recognize and he made up a sign for it. Good times.

Have I mentioned his severe addiction to Veggie Tales yet? Oh my. There needs to be a VTA group for kids like him. This is how our typical day goes. Noah wakes me up by saying “out?” so that I will remove the gate from our area so he can run free. He then proceeds to point at his diaper, which means “change me” and then signs food and laughs when I ask him if he would like breakfast. If Jack wakes up he says “Gack” to let me know that I should also free Jack from his crib. We eat breakfast and as soon as he is washed and let down this is what I hear: “braukie? Boooob? Warry? Nuno?” (Interpretion: blankie? Bob? Larry? Junior? Sometimes I will also hear “Tales?” and “Emo” for his Elmo chair that he sits in to watch Veggie Tales). I put on a VT for him and he watches the whole thing…and when it’s over asks for Bob again. This goes on all day long. Unless he’s hungry or needs a diaper change, in which case he lets me know. Once in awhile he decides to “love on” Jack. Which means he either puts blankets over Jack’s head (Peek-a boo, minus the peeking and booing parts), lays on him (hugs!) or knocks him over by pushing on his forehead (I’m still not sure what this is supposed to mean). I guess I should be grateful that he’s addicted to VT – I mean, it could be worse. He could love Barney or Teletubbies (I would die!) and he is learning good principles and values. It’s kinda like going to Sunday School….all week long.

0 comments: