Wednesday, April 16, 2008

The Voice of Reason

Since I've stopped breastfeeding Jack I've noticed that he's alot happier. Before he was super clingy, he either wanted to nurse or be held - by me - 24/7; he wasn't sleeping at all and was just generally a very fussy baby. Now, he rarely wants to be held and often wanders off to the other end of the house to play. I wish I would have realized sooner that he was just hungry - I feel so bad! The poor kid must have been starving :(

I'm pretty sure that me working was the problem too. I work such sporadic hours right now that I'm sure it was screwing with my milk supply and I have no pump so it's not like I could pump when I was gone either *sigh* oh well, I know eventually I'll have more children so I'll be more prepared with the next one - this parenting stuff is not so easy! Dollhouse babies were so simple to care for LOL

***

I'm also a little worried about Noah. I know this may end up being TMI for alot of people, but my kid won't poop! I have cut out all juice and have been trying to get more fiber and fruits/veggies in him....I'm in the process of cutting out processed meats (bologna, hot dogs)...I've put flax seed into his food and he just refuses to go! I am at such a loss.....Noah will go for almost a week "trying" to poop and then I end up giving him medicine, which makes him go, but then a couple days later we are back to the no pooping again. I feel like I am beating my head against a wall! What do I do?!?!

I have to add that I love Dr. Sears - I just went to his site and typed in constipation and I'm getting alot of great info! I love that he lists ways to help starting with the safest/most natural way first. I used to go to a homeopathic doctor, but couldn't afford to pay for the doctor visits anymore (Medicaid won't cover him because he's in the wrong county GRRR) so it's nice to find a doctor, even if he be a faceless online doctor, who will give me the kind of advice I'm looking for - noninvasive. I especially loved this sentence, it had me laughing: 'Being plugged up with a hard stool for three days can be very uncomfortable. In fact, we did not appreciate this until we strained along with one of our babies, who was constipated for the first two years of his life. As Martha would help him produce a bowel movement, she would proclaim, "I feel like a mid-wife."'

I guess I'm going to attempt to get him to drink more water at this point and give him some meds and then start with a higher-fiber diet than I have been doing already...we'll see how it goes! I just hope something works bc I feel like such a bad mom when I can't even get my toddler to do the most basic of bodily functions!

0 comments: