Sunday, July 27, 2008

A Lesson Years in the Making

I've been reading The Yada Yada Prayer Group series by Neta Jackson (which I'll review later) and I have to say...it's really convicting me to be praying about everything. I mean the entire series revolves around a prayer group that meets every two weeks to bring their cares and concerns before the Lord, together. That's a huge challenge by itself. But then I read this other section in the book that really spoke to me too:

"I looked up at Denny, who was still slumped in one of the dining-room chairs. 'I know what we can do.'
'What?'
'Pray for Adele and MaDear.'
He cocked an eyebrow at me. 'O-kaaay. Sounds, uh, virtuous.'
I giggled, 'I know. But I'm serious. How many times do I actually pray for my so-called enemies - or even someone who makes me upset? I stew...I fret...I try to work it out. But Adele's right about one thing - I wanted to talk to her to make
me feel better.'"*

This really grabbed my attention because I do this. When someone hurts my feelings (knowingly or unknowingly) the first thing I want to do is lash out - why? Because it makes me feel better to see them hurting. Or if I don't lash out it makes me feel better to talk the subject to death...get it all out in the open. Never once do I think about praying for those that have hurt my feelings. What a challenge. To first take the issue to God, get his perspective and pray for those that have "harmed" me. Wow.

"But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you, 'that you may be sons of your Father in heaven." (Matthew 5:44)

It's amazing how we can read certain Bible verses over and over and over again, yet the lesson in there flies right over our heads. How crazy is it that it takes a fictional story to put in my face a lesson that I should have been walking out for years.

*This quote was taken from "The Yada Yada Prayer Group Gets Down" by Neta Jackson.

1 comments:

Neta Jackson said...

Bless you, Alexia! Sharing what the Yada Yada novels mean to you touched me--and it's what keeps me going! I'm now starting a spin-off series called the Yada Yada House of Hope. If you or any of your blog friends want to be alerted when the first book comes out (early December!), go to our website (www.daveneta.com) and sign up for an alert.
Your sister in Christ,
Neta Jackson
Author, the Yada Yada series