Monday, July 21, 2008

One of Those Weeks.

Have you ever had those days when you feel like you can’t do anything right? Well, I’ve had a work week like that. I’m a janitor (for those who didn’t know) and I just started cleaning a new bank this last week…on my own. Which is freaky in and of itself because I’m there alone. At night.

I’m thinking about buying pepper spray.

Anyway.

Cleaning a new building is difficult because everything is new. You’re working with new people, trying to establish a routine and the goal is to not be there for 5 hours running around like a chicken with your head chopped off - which is what I feel like I’ve been doing. Not fun. It’s even worse when you feel like you’re making mistake after mistake. My first day working, my boss was there and kept pointing out things I missed or didn’t clean well enough…which is fine, I just have a hard time cleaning when someone is following behind me checking all my work. I never know if I should be working faster so they can leave or slower and making sure everything is cleaned thoroughly (and we’re not talking about a severely messy bank here. It was pretty clean, which is worse…you’re never quite sure what actually needs to be cleaned!) Then there was a misunderstanding about the alarm and I didn’t set it. Oops. Then the CEO went through and says that there is dust in the corners of some of the office windows and that the bank has to be perfect or they can’t open (the bank has not officially opened yet). Talk about pressure!

I’m paid for 1 ½ hours of cleaning, if I take longer I don’t get paid. I’m already working the full time allotted to me and I’m running around like a crazy woman trying to get everything cleaned. Now I have extra stuff they are asking me to do or are saying I’m not doing well enough. I haven’t even started mopping floors yet.

I’m just feeling really overwhelmed.

I like to be the good worker who the boss always looks to for help and advice and right now I’m feeling like that crappy worker who never shows up on time and only works as hard as they have to (even though that’s NOT what I’m doing). I hate that feeling.

And even though it maybe seems kinda stupid….I could really use your prayers that I can get my head together and that this bank job starts running smoothly.

Oh, and did I mention that I'll be starting a "quickie" job on Thursday that will have me gone from six in the morning to almost 11 at night? I need alot of prayers!

0 comments: