Friday, August 8, 2008

The Yada Yada Prayer Group















The Yada Yada Prayer Group

This is not going to be my "normal" review because there are seven books in this series and they really do all go together. You can't read just one book and be happy and it's not fair to the series to just review the first one and leave it at that!

The Yada Yada Prayer Group is about a group of Chicago-area women from totally diverse backgrounds who are thrown together at a women's conference and decide to from a "prayer group". (Taken from the description on Neta Jackson's site...which we'll discuss later!)

I read the first Yada Yada book years ago, when I was around 15. I bought it because I thought the front cover was really fun looking - I'm a sucker for the covers. I read it and thought it was a slow, boring book so I shelved it and moved on to "funner" book. I remember thinking that the cover was better than the book LOL

I never thought about the books again for quite a few years. But then Tree Swing Reading did a giveaway for the entire series and I entered (I still thought they were boring, but figured "what the heck...I can give them to my mom"). And I won. And I wasn't exactly leaping up and down with joy, but winning the entire series was kinda cool. I planned to just pass them right on the my mom.

But then the books came in the mail. And I saw the fun sock-clad feet in all their colorful glory on the covers of all seven books and I just couldn't hand them over. I told Mom she could borrow them if she wanted. I told you, I'm a sucker for covers.

I decided to read one of the books.

And I liked it.

They made me laugh.

And cry.

And they even challenged me in my relationship with God.

I felt like I had this treasure trove sitting on my bookshelf that never ran out.

What I had missed all of these years!!!

I'm only on the third book, but I can confidently say that all seven are great. Because I know they will be. Neta wouldn't disappoint me this far in! :) I can honestly say that the books are not like the fast-paced stories I normally read. You know how most books revolve around one pivotal moment about 3/4 of the way through the book and then there's the let-down and the end of the book? Yada Yada is not like that at all. It's a slow, steady, developing story seven books in the making. And I like it that way. You will too. Trust me.

Another thing I really liked about the books was that the main character in the story is Jodi Baxter: married momma, middle-class, likes life to not be exciting. Like me. I'm a big fan of boring. leave me alone, let me read my books, type on my computer and raise my family. I don't like my life to challenged and complicated. I think that's why these books speak to me so much. When Jodi is challenged to have faith, pray harder or change her thinking...so am I. Because I see alot of myself in her.

Yada Yada is a good series to read and well worth your time. Not only are there great stories in there, but you will be challenged.

If you'd like to get the titles and read the description of all seven of the Yada Yada books then you need to visit Neta Jackson's site. Not only that, but you can also read sample chapters from all seven books, get some recipes that are mentioned in the book and you can even listen to a sample of Barbara
Rosenblat's dramatic readings of the novels. Not to mention you can see all the other books Neta and her husband, Dave have written. They look good too!

1 comments:

Neta Jackson said...

Alexia! I'm delighted that you're enjoying the journey with the Yada Yada sisters! Thanks so much for recommending them to your friends. And just to let you know--I am now writing a NEW series that is a spin-off of Yada Yada, especially following bk 7 of the original series (grin). The series will be called The Yada Yada House of Hope, and the first book (title: "Where Do I Go?") will be out in early December '08! You can go to our web site (www.daveneta.com) to sign up to be notified when a new book comes out.
BLESS YOU!
Neta Jackson
Author, the Yada Yada novels