Saturday, December 20, 2008

Jesus Is My Focus

Okay, I admit, I'm a fan of the Duggers. I know some people think they're crazy for having so many kids, but to each their own. I lean more toward thinking they're crazy for wearing skirts all the time, that would drive me i-n-s-a-n-e! I hate skirts if you can't tell LOL I think the main reason I like them so much is because they are so focused on Christ. It shows through no matter what they are doing. Even though there are a TON of people in that house, you can sense the peace. I've always wanted my home to feel like that.

If you haven't read their Household Guidelines, you should. I like them, alot. And I think I'm going to take a cue from them and establish my own "rules". Even if I'm the only one that can truly understand and follow them - I'm a good place to start.

And while we're on the subject of keeping our days Christ-centered I wanted to share something I've noticed and am so proud of.

Since the day my mom found out that I was pregnant with Noah, she has been talking to him about Jesus. She would always tell him to listen to Jesus and he always listened to her (and Jesus). Most of the time he listened to Grammy and Jesus more than me!

Jesus has become a really huge part of Noah's daily life and I'm so glad! Noah prays for his food and reminds me if I forget. He asks me to pray for owies (kisses won't do) and every night he's started to repeat a prayer to Jesus. We have a red strip of cloth that is in his room and Noah knows that that cloth means that Jesus loves him (from a sermon our pastor preached). When he doesn't share or is mean-spirited we ask him "What Would Jesus Do?" And he knows what we're saying; he may not always follow what Jesus would do, but he knows. And lately when he gets super emotional I will sit down with him and we'll pray and ask Jesus to bring him peace; He does and Noah calms right down.

Isn't that so neat?

The amazing thing is that I didn't spend tons of time teaching Noah these things. It was just a short prayer here or a minute of "Jesus lessons" there that did this; it's so cool!

Anyways, all that to say, I'm super excited to incorporate more Jesus into our days. I think my next goal is going to be to establishing Bible reading. I have fond memories of listening to my dad reading chapters from Psalms & Proverbs every day on cassette tape (he was working/sleeping when we got up in the mornings) and I want my boys to have that same memory with me.

What are some ways that you incorporate Jesus and moral lessons into your day?

0 comments: