Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Mama Loves: Sign Language

Mama loves Sign Language. There's just something about using your hands to talk that is 100 times more beautiful and meaningful than just saying it out loud.

I love signing during worship. I'm not fluent in Sign Language, at all, but once in a while I'll sit down with my dictionary and teach myself an entire song. I'm not a very outward person when I'm in church. I'm not comfortable dancing or waving flags or even raising my hands most of the time, but when I'm able to sign I feel like I am connecting with my Father. Signing just says what I can't.

I've been trying to teach my boys signs as well. I started teaching Noah before he was 1 and he picked up on them really quickly. Each new sign I teach him he remembers and uses (which is such a help, let me tell ya! When he's asking for something in his unintelligible toddler language, those signs really help me narrow it down!).

Jack, however, has been a challenge. He's my little caveman. He grunts and nods and points and has apparently decided that he's not interested in crossing the language barrier. I've tried to teach him signs, but the only ones he's accepted are "more" "please" and "food/eat" - and only when he's desperate! And by desperate I mean, I'm sitting on the toilet and Jack decides he's hungry, but, obviously, there's no food to point and grunt at so he has to sign food. Or I have his fruit snacks and he wants another one, but I make him say please before I will hand it over. That desperate. LOL

I've found though, that there is one sign that Jack uses with abandon; nobody taught him this sign. I'm pretty sure he was just making something up, however, it looks alot like the sign for F*** you. No, I'm not joking. I even looked it up to make sure I was right. I was. The truly hilarious, Mama Loves part, is that he uses it in exactly the right context! If we ask him to do something and he isn't interested, out flies The Sign. Sometimes when he's super grumpy all we have to do is say his name and we get The Sign.

My 1 1/2 year old knows a swear word in Sign Language. I have to laugh. I guess the good thing is that no one knows what he's saying unless I tell them. So it's our little secret. So long as I don't run into anyone who's deaf.

1 comments:

Tanya said...

I love sign language too! While never fluent, I did serve as an interpreter in college and taught both our kids signs as babies. Ellie had over 100 signs before her second birthday.