Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Tasty Tuesday: Panera's Broccoli Soup!

Broccoli soup is my absolute favorite, right next to a good Baked Potato soup. I've been on the search for a yummy broccoli soup and I've found it - this stuff was good! Next time I'll probably cut the nutmeg in half though, it was too much for me. I'd also chop the broccoli a little smaller than I did.















Panera's Broccoli Soup

Serves 4

-1 tablespoon melted butter
-1/2 medium chopped onion
-1/4 cup melted butter
-1/4 cup flour
-2 cups half-and-half cream
-2 cups chicken stock (1 can exactly)
-1/2 lb fresh broccoli
-1 cup carrot, julienned (I just used one whole carrot)
-1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
-8 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese
-salt and pepper


(1) Sauté onion in butter. Set aside.

(2) Cook melted butter and flour using a whisk over medium heat for 3-5 minutes. Stir constantly and add the half & half.

(3)Add the chicken stock. Simmer for 20 minutes.

(4) Add the broccoli, carrots and onions. Cook over low heat 20-25 minutes.

(5) Add salt and pepper. Can be puréed in a blender but I don't. Return to heat and add cheese. Stir in nutmeg.

1 comments:

Tanya said...

Okay, two things. First, how have I never seen your site before?? We follow a lot of the same people, we both love books and even read the same authors and now you're giving out recipes from one of my favorite restraunts! :)

Secondly, do you have any more Panera recipes?? I would LOVE to have their chicken and wild rice soup recipe. It's like a cozy blanket and chick flick in a bowl. Love it!