Monday, January 19, 2009

Only the World

I absolutely love Mandisa. I was so excited when she auditioned for American Idol, and made it into the top 24. Not only because she had the best voice (she did), but also because seriously it was the first overweight female that had made it that far. You know it. American Idol has this thing about females only being 110 pounds *roll eyes* And Simon pretty much lost any respect I had for him when he made the comments that he did about her weight (he earned a little back when he apologized later).

ANYWAYS even though Mandisa didn't win I was glad when she was scooped up and put out a CD - and I won one! Her songs are so awesome. The one that really speaks to me is "Only the World". Every time I hear it, it just encourages me to keep going, keep pursuing Jesus and ignoring everything else because I'm not staying here anyways. It's the song that puts my back on my feet and I wanted to share it with you. Compliments of YouTube :0)
(Here are the lyrics if you want to sing along)


It kinda goes along with this quote from Dr. Seuss that I also keep handy:
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those that mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

And this verse from the Bible (Which I also keep handy!):
"But you are the ones chosen by God, chosen for the high calling of priestly work, chosen to be a holy people, God's instruments to do his work and speak out for him, to tell the others of the night-and-day difference he made for you - from nothing to something, from rejected to accepted."
1 Peter 2:9-10 (The Message)

I also love the King James Version (just verse 9 this time):
"But ye [are] a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvelous light"

The bold is mine. Somehow it makes it easier to be a Christian and walk a narrower, lonelier road when you know that you're supposed to be peculiar, you know?


If you have the time, I also found a YouTube video of Mandisa talking about her experience with Simon - when she told him that she forgave him. It's really neat to hear her talking about how his comments affected her and what happened leading up to what we saw on television.


What songs/verses/quotes etc. keep you in a Heaven mindset?

0 comments: