Monday, February 9, 2009

Monday's Movie: Fireproof




















Fireproof (2008)


About the Movie: At work, inside burning buildings, Capt. Caleb Holt lives by the old firefighter's adage: Never leave your partner behind. At home, in the cooling embers of his marriage, he lives by his own rules.

Growing up, Catherine Holt always dreamed of marrying a loving, brave firefighter...just like her daddy. Now, after seven years of marriage, Catherine wonders when she stopped being "good enough" for her husband.

Regular arguments over jobs, finances, housework, and outside interests have readied them both to move on to something with more sparks.

As the couple prepares to enter divorce proceedings, Caleb's father challenges his son to commit to a 40-day experiment: "The Love Dare." Wondering if it's even worth the effort, Caleb agrees-for his father's sake more than for his marriage. When Caleb discovers the book's daily challenges are tied into his parents' newfound faith, his already limited interest is further dampened.

While trying to stay true to his promise, Caleb becomes frustrated time and again. He finally asks his father, "How am I supposed to show love to somebody who constantly rejects me?"

When his father explains that this is the love Christ shows to us, Caleb makes a life-changing commitment to love God. And with God's help he begins to understand what it means to truly love his wife.

But is it too late to fireproof his marriage? His job is to rescue others. Now Caleb Holt is ready to face his toughest job ever...rescuing his wife's heart.


From me: Sherwood Films had impressed me for the second time in a row. There's not much more that I can say about the actual storyline than "go watch it!" There are no questionable scenes and the storyline is awesome, just make sure that you have some Kleenex handy. Fireproof is not just a movie to entertain you, it's a movie that brings God right into the room!

I was super impressed with some of the behind the scenes info about not only Fireproof, but also the two other movies that Sherwood Films has produced: Flywheel and Facing the Giants. Alot of this I heard on a radio broadcast (Parent Talk on FLR, I couldn't find the website), but also from various sites (including the official ones) so forgive me if I don't link to all my sources...I'm to lazy.

-Save Kirk Cameron, all the actors are not professionals. They are from the Sherwood Baptist Church in Albany Georgia! And if you watch all three of the movies you can see that some of the same people show up in each of the movies - that was really fun to look for! And for non-professionals, they do a pretty awesome job!
- Sherwood Films holds to the belief that "Actors and actresses should guard their own marriages while on screen the same way they would do in real life." The one time that Caleb Holt kisses his wife Catherine in the movie...Kirk is actually kissing his wife, not the actress who plays Catherine Holt. I've never seen the opposite sexes actually in bed together in any of the movies either. It's impressive to me that, in this sin-ridden world, a movie company is actually holding to higher standards.
-Sherwood Films used one camera to shoot this movie.
-Sherwood Films had a very low production cost becuase most of the actors/actresses and behind-the-scenes workers were volunteers! (Including Kirk Cameron).

It just goes to show what can happen when you let GOD lead you! There are a ton more interesting facts about how God was at work in all 3 movies, just visit each movie's web site to learn more!

2 comments:

Kristie said...

I just heard about this movie last week and I almost bought it for my husband for Valentine's Day. It sounds like a great movie that my husband and I would enjoy, but I know he'd also love whatever firefighting there might be in it. (He is on the local fire dept and firefighting is one of his passions!)
Thanks for your review-makes me want to see it even more! :-)

Rhonda said...

Hi, My husband and I loved Fireproof. I am going to start the Love Dare on my hubby...shhh don't tell him.

I just thought that was the coolest that Kirk Cameron would not kiss another woman only his wife!! I love Kirk Cameron and what he is doing for the Lord!

After Fireproof we watched Facing the Giants...loved it too!! We have both on DVD!

I have never seen FlyWheel...do you recommend that one?