Friday, March 27, 2009

Friday Flicks: Hancock






















Hancock (2008)

About the movie:
There are heroes. There are superheroes. And then there's Hancock.

Meet the superhero everybody loves to hate.

He is saving the world whether you like it or not.

Bad behavior. Bad attitude. Real Hero.

Academy Award® nominee Will Smith (Best Actor, The Pursuit of Happyness, 2006) stars in this action-packed comedy as Hancock, a sarcastic, hard-living and misunderstood superhero who has fallen out of favor with the public.

When Hancock grudgingly agrees to an extreme makeover from idealistic publicist Ray Embrey (Jason Bateman, Juno), his life and reputation rise from the ashes and all seems right again--until he meets a woman (2003 Academy Award® winner Charlize Theron, Best Actress, Monster) with similar powers to his and the key to his secret past.


From me: I really liked this movie and I was a little amazed that I did! I detest superhero movies. They are so typical, so run-of-the-mill. Hancock, is not. I laughed my way through the entire first half of the movie and truly enjoyed the "typical superhero" ending. (which wasn't entirely typical either). I loved the fact that I didn't have to deal with sexual crap all the way through and I was pretty pleased that I didn't find swear words scattered liberally throughout the film. The B word is used (although it was mumbled and kids might not catch it) and a**hole is used a fairly good amount (although there was a reason the word was used, it wasn't just some miscellaneous swear word inserted to fill space). But other than that I really did not pick up on too many other swear words. It's definitely a movie that wives can watch with their husbands and both will enjoy. Obviously there is alot of violence (and those swear words) so this isn't a movie you'd wanna just turn on for your children without previewing it first :)

(Okay, so obviously I was planning on posting this at a later date and forgot to change the dates to reflect that LOL I can't get it to fix now, so enjoy the Friday Flick on Tuesday!)

2 comments:

Kristie said...

I've seen bits and pieces of this movie at my in-laws'. I was going to borrow it, but totally forgot about it. I'll probably have to hunt down which family member it came from now. (It could have been from anyone in the extended family-they pass movies around all the time! LOL!)

Musings of a Housewife said...

This sounds good! I love Will Smith. And I appreciate that it sounds relatively clean. Thanks for sharing!