Thursday, April 23, 2009

Ausetenland
















Austenland
by Shannon Hales

About the Book: Jane Hayes is a seemingly normal young New Yorker, but she has a secret. Her obsession with Mr. Darcy, as played by Colin Firth in the BBC adaptation of Pride and Prejudice, is ruining her life. No real man can compare.

When a wealthy relative bequeaths her a trip to an English resort catering to Austen-crazed women, Jane's fantasies of meeting the perfect Regency-era gentleman suddenly becomes realer than she ever could have imagined. Decked out in empire-waist gowns, stripped of her modern appliances, Jane throws herself into mastering Regency etiquette and flirts with gardeners and gentlemen - or maybe even, she suspects, with the actors who are playing them.

It's all a game, Jane knows. And yet the longer she stays, the more her insecurities seem to vanish. Is she about to kick the Austin obsession for good, or could all her dreams actually culminate in a Mr. Darcy of her own?

With humor, charm and perfect sympathy, award-winning author Shannon Hale delivers a novel that will delight every reader who has ever dreamed of escaping into Austenland.

From Me: Well, when I first started this book, I sighed a little; it seemed very much like a typical run-of-the-mill chic-lit romance. Which is fine and all, but I've been looking for something a little snazzier lately. A book has to be really boring for me to not finish it though, so I plodded on. About a quarter to halfway through, the story started to perk up a bit and from then on it just took off! The ending was so great and so different than what I would have expected - I loved it! This is definitely a book worth reading and even re-reading again and again! I'm actually pretty bummed that it's a library book and I have to return it :)

2 comments:

Jess said...

This book looks great. Thanks for the great review.

lace said...

I've had this on my 'to read' list but forgot about it that's probably because it was on my 'to read' list that's in my head. I might have to actually right it down instead of relying on that list in my head. Glad to hear it was good.