Thursday, April 2, 2009

Booking Through Thursday: Library Week

Well, the boys are happily watching Larry-Boy and the Bad Apple and I just couldn't not do my favorite weekly meme, especially after I saw the question this week. (The cleaning is going slowly, very slowly...I'm seriously going to hire one of my siblings to help me finish next week, they are all on spring break! The boys are enjoying my presence though).


I saw that National Library week is coming up in April, and that led to some questions. How often do you use your public library and how do you use it? Has the coffeehouse/bookstore replaced the library? Did you go to the library as a child? Do you have any particular memories of the library? Do you like sleek, modern, active libraries or the older, darker, quiet, cozy libraries?

Ahhh, my favorite place in the whole wide world - the library! So many questions this week and I want to answer them all!

Books have been a constant in my family since we were little. Mom read to us as babies, taught us to read at 3 & 4 and the only thing Dad bought for us, without question, as we got older was books! So, needless to say, I love books! Books, books, books! LOL We were regulars at the library; the three of us that could read (dad, me and my brother) would hit up the library every 2 weeks and take out 10-12 books each. I always felt bad for the librarian because they had to hand-stamp all of those books! They knew us by name though and I still have fond memories of that library (and librarians). I always finished my books in the first week and had to impatiently wait for the next trip.

The last time that I went to my childhood library (I still live 10 minutes away from it), was the week my dad died. My cousin was over and we wanted to rent some movies so off we went to the library (they are free there ya know). It was one of the few times I had been there by myself and I was so worried that that the librarian would ask where dad was. I had no clue what I would say if she did. She didn't and I breathed a sigh of relief when we left. I haven't been back there since. There were too many memories there and I've always felt like I didn't want to loose those precious memories by going back, by myself, again and again.

*sigh*

To answer the rest of the questions, I don't think the coffee/book shops will ever take the place of a library. You have to buy the book for goodness sake! (or read them right there in the shop). I like to take my books home to enjoy them...ummm could you imagine my 2 boys in a bookstore while I'm trying to read??? Hahaha...

Plus, libraries offer so much more! They are involved in the community! Libraries will never go out of style!

And I absolutely adore the older libraries. It seems cozier and more befitting of the books and the readers who go there.

Join in the fun!

3 comments:

Jess said...

Alexia,

I am with you -- I love the library. I am so glad to hear that you have so many great memories of the library and I was very sorry to hear about your Dad.
Thanks for stopping by my blog,

Jess

Kristina Wilmoth said...

I have been to the public library 2 times and the school library 1 time just this week! The kids read books every day and they like fresh meat!! Who could afford to buy their kids that many children's books? Seriously!

lace said...

The library was one of the places I was able to ride my bike to alone. I love the library. Just went there today and plan to go again in a few days.