Monday, April 13, 2009

What's the Deal?

This story just seems ridiculous to me. You can click here and read the whole thing (there's a video too) or just read my shortened version here.

A husband and wife who illegally immigrated to Japan in the 1990's, obtained jobs illegally and now have a 13 year old daughter. They were recently found out and are now being deported back to their country. Their daughter was given the option of staying in Japan, alone, or being sent back with her parents. She chose to stay in Japan.

Throughout the article everyone is stating how unfair it is that the parents have to leave their daughter behind. Basically, I'm assuming, they want to be allowed to stay.

I don't get this. First of all, their life has been illegal. While I think there are other options that governments could take for illegal immigrants (especially ones who have been responsible and not relied on government help to survive), rules are rules. If you don't follow them you will suffer consequences eventually. Why should this family be different because their daughter was born and raised in Japan?

Also, take your child with you! WHY would you be willing to leave you child in another country (and not be able to see her for FIVE years) just because you'll be moving to a poorer place? I would much rather have my children with me on a farm than have them raised by someone else in another country just because there are more opportunities.

I can't believe the girl is choosing a career over her family either.

The whole situation seems dumb to me and more than a little dramatic.

What do you think?

2 comments:

Kristie said...

This is a tough one. I definitely agree that the parents should be deported. They moved to Japan illegally and they had to have known the consequences if they were found out.
As far as the daughter, I think I can understand why they made the decision that they did and I can see why you are upset with the decision. As a parent, I want the best for my kids, so I could see why they would let her stay in Japan to have a better life. She will be living with an aunt and will continue to get a good education. At the same time, she is only 13 and it breaks my heart to think they could leave their young daughter behind. Hopefully their daughter can come visit them even though they can't go to see her!

tanyadennisbooks.com said...

I read that article too. I don't know. I just don't know. We could look at it as boarding school, though. A number of families do that and it turns out fine. Perhaps that's what this girl is thinking: that she can finish her education then "save" her parents from poverty. Again, I don't know. :)