Friday, May 8, 2009

Pass it on down!

Parent Bloggers wants to know what my mama handed down to me. In exchange for this lovely information, I have the chance to win a $250 Visa card!

I think I look exactly like my mom. Between the limited amounts of pictures I can find of her in her younger years and the precious few pictures I allow to be taken of me...I can see alot of similarities. There's a couple pictures where, if we were wearing the same era of clothing, you might not be able to tell who was who. So, Mom's looks got passed down to me. But I don't really think that counts because she can't really control what features get passed on, now can she?

I'm sure I could go through a whole list of things that Mom has passed on to me: the cradle my grandpa made out of a church pew, how to make an Allspice teething necklace (THANK GOD for that one!), that if there's not a good reason to say no - the answer should be yes...I could go on and on.

But the "hand-me-downs" that I find most precious are the ones that can't be held in my hand and were given to me through example. Things like Patience (which I'm still learning...) and Selflessness, Humbleness and giving a bite of your favorite dessert to each of your 6 children (I'm pretty sure it will take years to learn that one. And 4 more kids LOL). I remember waking up to Mom, laying on the floor in the living room, talking to God. That's Passion.

The most important thing that Mom has passed down to me is the power of example. Your life speaks. If to no one else, to your children. I am who I am today because of Mom and everything I strive to be, is because of her. I watched her. I wanted to be like her. And I still do. Eventually I might get there ;)


Hey! Don't forget to check out the great Celebrity Hand Me Downs on the auction block now! You could end up the proud owner of Gwyneth Paltrow or Jessica Alba's stuff! All proceeds will benefit the new global JOHNSON'S® NO MORE TEARS® Clean Water initiative via their well-known charitable giving site, Baby Cause.

1 comments:

Stephanie, Mama Dramatist said...

Sweet post and lovely tribute! Yeah, pass down all the good stuff!

(Now, if we could only find a way to avoid passing down all the annoying stuff...)

Happy Mothers' Day!!