Thursday, June 18, 2009

The Other Boleyn Girl




















The Other Boleyn Girl
by Philippa Gregory

About the Book: Mary Boleyn catches the eye of Henry VIII when she comes to court as a girl of fourteen.

Dazzled by the golden prince, Mary's joy is cut short when she discovers that she is a pawn in the dynastic plots of her family. When the capricious king's interest wanes, Mary is ordered to pass on her knowledge of how to please him to her friend and rival: her sister Anne.

Anne soon becomes irresistable to Henry, and Mary can do nothing but watch her sister's rise. Anne stops at nothing to achieve her own ambition. From now on, Mary will be no more than the other Boleyn girl.

But beyond the court is a man who dares to challenge the power of her family to offer Mary a life of freedom and passion. If only she has the courage to break away - before the Boleyn enemies turn on the Boleyn girls...

-taken straight from Philippa's site


From me: So, I watched the movie before I read the book and it's a good thing I did! The book was so full of detail and the story so well-developed, that the movie paled in comparison. I have to say that the book is filled to the brim with way more sexuality, and just selfish, evil, human nature than the movie ever showed (the movie is actually pretty clean compared to how low Anne and George stoop in the book). It's a great read though that draws you in quickly and holds your attention. I felt like I was another player in the story from the beginning and, amazingly enough, was a little shocked when Anne ended up on trial. The story was that good LOL

It was also a devastating reminder of how far and how fast you can fall when you stop chasing after God and follow your own path instead. Anne Boleyn's story reminds me of a quote my mom (and pastor) are frequently heard repeating, "Sin takes you farther than you are willing to go, keeps you longer than you are willing to stay and has a price higher than you are willing to pay".

3 comments:

Marybeth Poppins said...

I saw the movie and although it was good, it alone made me uncomfortable. I'm not sure I could handle the book. LOL Though now I AM interested in reading it.

Marybeth Poppins said...

PS...ya know one of these days we should do a play date! Just a though ;)

Jess said...

Great review. I definitely liked the book better than the movie. While watching, I kept saying things like, "wait, did that happen in the book?"