Thursday, July 23, 2009

Surviving a House Full of Whispers













Surviving a House Full of Whispers
By Sharon Wallace

About the Book: Sharon suffered continual physical and sexual abuse from her stepfather for seven years. Unfortunately, no one would listen to her or believe her story. At age 16, she finally finds the courage to flee from her tormentors. Social Services find her the first of a string of temporary jobs between which she criss-crosses England trying to find a safe haven.

However, she cannot escape her "night devil" completely until she comes to terms with her past. Sharon's growth and recovery from abuse and learning to accept love would be a long road to travel, taking nearly forty years to achieve. She had to learn to trust and lover herself before she could another.

From me: Surviving a House Full of Whispers was sent to me to review (my first!) and I was super excited to be able to read and share my opinion of it with you. Surviving a House Full of Whispers is actually the second book in a trilogy, the first is A House Full of Whispers, which I have not read. Unfortuantly, it probably would have been better to read that one first. I was a little lost in this second book because Surving picks up when Sharon is 16 years old and she is running away from home. I really had no clue what kind of life or abuse she had survived; I did pick up hints here and there of what had happened, but I still only have an idea and I also had a hard time keeping all the names straight. Also, the editor didn't do a very good job because there were alot of spots where senteces were switching between past, present and future tenses alot or where there were actual quoted conversations being mixed in with the telling of conversations. It wasn't a smooth read.

WITH THAT said...I did still enjoy the story (as much as you can enjoy reading about abuse and the victims of it). I think I would have felt more of an emotional connection if I had followed the author through her first book, but I was still upset when no one would believe her and rejoiced when she conquered obstacles. I will probably try to find the first book at my local library so I can read the beginning of the story and I will read the third book whenever it comes out too. I want to finish Sharon's story.

0 comments: