Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year!

I hope ya'll got to go out (or stay in) with people you cared about and had FUN! We sure did!

With this new year comes the ever-popular New Year's Resolutions!

I'm terrible at New Year's Resolutions and, generally, think it's a big waste of time. I tried it once. I made this nice lengthy list of things I wanted to change in the new year. By the time I finished the list, I was already depressed at all the things "wrong" with me and exhausted at just the thought of all the stuff I had to do. No fun. And, a year later, I had accomplished nothing on my list.

This year I'm going to try something a little different.

I listen to Intentional Living alot and Dr. Carlson has the best idea ever for changing your life. It's called One Thing.

The idea is that, instead of overwhelming yourself with trying to change the 50 million things in your life that need changing, you pick one area of your life that could use some attention and then, One Thing that you can do that will make the biggest change in that area. Once you've accomplished that goal, you can then pick another One Thing...and the beat goes on.

It's a genius idea! Which I've already put into play in my life (the water thing? That was a One Thing). So, that's what I'm going to continue into 2010. Each month I will pick an area in my life that needs....tweaking...choose One Thing and then spend 30 days putting that One Thing into practice. And, of course, telling you all about it on the way. By the end of the 30 days I'll have made a positive change in my life!

I also decided that there are three "major" areas that need a little changing and I want to make it a year-long project.

Area 1: Finances. I want to put into practice the 10-10-80 plan. 10% tithe, 10% to save and 80% to live on. This is a challenge for me because I don't have alot of breathing room in my budget right now, but I think it's important that I have money set aside for emergencies.

Area 2: My relationship with Christ. It needs to be stronger. I don't read enough, I don't pray enough, I don't practice my walk enough. I need to be a STRONG Christian for myself and for my family.

Area 3: My families relationship with Christ: I am the head of my household and the most important thing that I can do for my children is to introduce them to their Savior and the only person who will never fail them. I want to find unique ideas that will instill Christ-like character in my children and ways to show them how to have a personal, real, relationship with him.

There are alot of different things that I want to put into practice and/or try with these three areas and I felt like giving myself an entire year would work better than limiting myself to one certain thing for 30 days.

Today is the first day of the 2010 calendar year; the area of chosen to start off in January is *drumroll* excercise! (I know *blah*). I've been wanting to get some weight off for awhile now and figured I'd better start out with the One Thing I dread the most...and get it over with LOL

My One Thing for January is to use the elliptical for, at least, 20 minutes 3 times a week.

This is a challenge for me because I can't handle being on one piece of equipment for that long. I hate staring at the same scene. I'm going to have to find a really good book or book-on-ipod or...something.

I don't know where this proverb came from, but Dr. Carlson quotes it alot on his program and I really like it:

"Fall seven times, get up eight"

It's an encouragement to me. It reminds me that mistakes happen, but the most important thing is that you keep on trying. I want to frame this quote for my walls.

So - here goes! I'll keep you updated on my successes (fine, and the failures too!)

2 comments:

Kristie said...

I like the approach you plan on taking! I hope the exercise program you have planned works out for you! I have been getting exercise in almost every other day (which ends up being 3 days a week even though every other week should be 4-lol!) Anyway-it's been working great for me. If you can make it part of your routine and stick with it (which I know isn't easy) you'll feel so much better! :-)

How is the water thing working? I plan to start drinking more water too, but I want my diet pop SO MUCH! LOL!

Happy New Year!

Alexis AKA MOM said...

What a great way to break it down into small bite sizes that I can manage! I like this and will have to go along with this. Thanks :)

I so agree with bring the lord for the kid, I'm trying to do the same here.