Friday, February 26, 2010

Friday Flicks: The Cider House Rules















The Cider House Rules

About the movie: Honored with two Academy Awards(R) -- Best Supporting Actor, Michael Caine, and Best Adapted Screenplay, John Irving -- The Cider House Rules tells a compelling and heartwarming story about how far a young man must travel to find the place where he truly belongs! Homer Wells (Tobey Macguire -- Pleasantville, The Ice Storm, Wonder Boys) has lived nearly his entire life within the walls of St. Cloud's Orphanage in rural Maine. Though groomed by its proprietor, Dr. Larch (Caine), to be his successor, Homer nonetheless feels the need to strike out on his own and experience the world outside. Then, while working at an apple orchard, Homer falls for the beautiful Candy (Charlize Theron -- Reindeer Games, The Devil's Advocate) and learns some powerfully indelible lessons about life, love, and home! Based on John Irving's best-selling American classic and featuring a sensational all-star cast including Delroy Lindo and newcomer Erykah Badu, this entertaining motion picture earned raves from critics and moviegoers everywhere!

From me: I'd never watched Cider House Rules because I originally thought it was over-run with inappropriate scenes and subjects and I hate paying money to rent a movie only to turn it off halfway through. Now that I have Netflix and can watch an unlimited amount of movies right on my computer, I decided to watch it.

All I can say is, wow. Cider House Rules deals with some very heavy subjects, but with a surprising amount of grace and dignity. That's not to say that there are scenes that I would have rather been left out. There is a scene of nudity that I didn't appreciate and a "clothed" sex scene that could have been left to our imagination. But other than that, it was clean. The heavy subjects you'll run into are vast: pre-marital sex, incest, abortion, drug abuse, death and all the emotions that come with these issues. Amazingly enough, the movie ends on an up note, which is nice. It's definitly not a movie for children to watch or even be present for. But it is a movie worth watching.

Also: This movie is based on the book, same name, written by John Irving. I haven't read the book, but I think I will.

*****
Disclaimer: I was not compensated in any way for this review. All opinions are my own.

1 comments:

Kristie said...

I caught this on TV a couple years ago. Definitely a heavy movie!