Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Tasty Tuesday: Baked Oatmeal

So, I actually got "bakey" yesterday and decided to attempt to make baked oatmeal for the boys' breakfasts. Yes, we are still looking at a nice amount of carbs and sugar (oatmeal counts as carbs, right?), but at least I know (and can pronounce) the ingredients list, which is better than packing them full of dyes and high fructose corn syrup....along with all the sugar found in breakfast cereals. And I feel like oatmeal is a much healthier option all-around.

Baked Oatmeal

3 cups rolled oats
1 cup brown sugar (I actually only used 1/2 cup)
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
2 eggs
1/2 cup (1 stick) melted butter
2 teaspoons vanilla exract
3/4 cup dried cranberries (or any fruit really, I used raisins)

I also added in a handful of chocolate chips, a total and complete bribe, in an attempt to convince Noah to try something new. He's not very adventurous :)

1: Mix oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder and salt.
2: Beat in milk, eggs, butter and vanilla.
3: Stir in cranberries.
4: Spread in 9x13 baking pan.
5: Bake for 40 minutes at 350.

All-in-all it turned out well. Very moist, but a little too crumbly for anything but the table. I'd like something that holds together a little better just in case I need to take them on the go. Jack loved them...he ate Noah's too LOL

1 comments:

Kristie said...

It sounds really good! Is it like a cake or bar when it's done then? I think I could get Blake to eat it, but Morgan would not like the idea of raisins in it. I can't really blame her-I never used to care for raisins in my baked goods either-LOL! I always ate it though and I actually like it now :-)