Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Impression 5

The boys and I grabbed our friend Lace and another church friend, Ann and headed to Impression 5 with our various charges. This hands-on children's museum has been around for ages! I went when I was little!

Alot of the displays were a little over the boys' heads , but they had so much fun!

We started out in the bubble room. I didn't get a picture of the really cool bubble machine where you could stand on this little platform and make a bubble with you inside(!), but it was the boys' favorite activity in that room!

Jack thought the giant eye that you could walk inside was really neat. It took Noah awhile to go inside it, but once he did he was asking all kinds of questions about the veins (Noah has asked me before what is inside eyes and we've looked it up online, so I was glad that he didn't miss out on going inside this eye

Another favorite of the boys was the dump truck! You had to use a joystick and buttons to lift metal nuts, bolts and screws with a magnet and put them into the back of the dump truck (it reminded me of the crane game in stores). It took a lot of concentration, but both of the boys managed to figure it out. Once you filled the truck you could push a button and it would dump it all out so you could start over again. I had to drag the boys away from this display!

Look at the concentration on that face!

I tried to get a picture of this really cool shadow display, but it didn't work. What would happen is you would stand in front of this screen while someone else pushed a button. There was a timer that would count down and then a lightbulb would flash (like if you were taking a picture). When you stepped away from the screen and looked at where you were standing when the flash happened, your shadow would still be there - doing whatever you were doing when the flash went off. It was really neat! Noah enjoyed pushing the button and telling Jack and I how to pose!

The Kaleidoscopes were a big hit...
The last thing we did was head to the toddler room for some good 'ol water play. I liked that they gave us (fake) crocs to wear so we didn't have to get our shoes wet. They offered aprons as well, but the boys nixed that idea.
It was a really fun day when all was said and done. And we didn't even get around to all the displays that the museum had to offer! I'm sure we'll be going back soon!

4 comments:

Wendy said...

Sounds and looks like you had fun. I need to take my kiddos, it has been years since I have been to Impression 5!

Kristie said...

I'm so glad it went well! I hardly remember what they had when I was there (I think it was 4th grade when I went). It looks like a blast for the kids, though, and I know Blake would LOVE the water play area!! I bet I'd probably have to drag him away from that dump truck too! LOL!

Jessica D. said...

my favorite part as a kid was the huge shadow screen!

lace said...

That was a fun day.

@Jessica - that screen is not as huge as we remember it. It was rather small.