Monday, April 12, 2010

One Thing: April

Well, first the MARCH Wrap-up that I forgot in all the computer troubles.

I vaguely remember that my goal was to get more fruits and veggies in and less carbs. My success was about 50/50. Regular grocery shopping trips would have helped. I did really great for about a week and a half, when I had a refrigerator stocked with TONS of veggies to make salads and a good collection of meats. Then it tapered off as I used up stuff and didn't re-stock. I ate out alot, and didn't do so great about passing on the fries and I managed to get myself addicted to pop again (and then jumped back on the wagon again last week).

All-in-all though I would call my attempt a success because I am now alot more aware of what I am eating and the ratio of carbs to veggies/fruits/meat. And I'm craving vegetable a whole lot more than I used to and have actually passed on fries with my meals because they just don't taste good to me anymore. It's crazy.

I will definitly be keeping up with this one thing.


On to the APRIL One Thing. Which is a little tricky.

I had orginally decided that I was going to focus on cutting out HFCS in our diets. That decision was based on the fact that I had just paid of all of my credit card debt and opened up my budget by, alot.

Then, last Wednesday, my boss called and told me that one of our clients had to let us go because they had budget issues and couldn't afford to keep us on. That client happened to be MY client and half of my paycheck went out the door with them.

I'm ever so thankful that God blessed me with a large tax return because without it, I would be screwed right about now. But having no debt means that I can squeak by on the income I will have until we get another client. It also means that my food budget has just disappeared, completely. I will be relying on the food bank again and we all know that you can't pick and choose the non-HFCS items there. I'm just grateful I have this option available to me.

Soooo that changes my One Thing for this month and I'm a little lost, honestly. I did just buy some cute little recycling bags from Avon so I think I'm going to focus on that for the remainder of this month.

I have no clue what I'm doing LOL so tips are welcome!

3 comments:

Kristie said...

I tried watching the high fructose corn syrup at one time-it didn't last long. I was just trying to make sure it wasn't in the top 4 or 5 ingredients.

Good luck with recycling! We do glass, but that's about it for now (except for returning pop/beer bottles). I'd love to do more too, but I haven't figured out a good place to put the recycling stuff yet :-/

Jaime @ Our Journey said...

We recycle like CRAZY in Germany ... they recycle just about everything here so it's pretty easy. Our trash/recycling pick-up comes on a rotational basis. Recycling comes every two weeks, cardboard/paper comes once per month and regular TRASH comes every two weeks ... we have to fit all our trash into 1 small can ... it fits 1 1/2 regular kitchen garbage bags! Even with diapers we've made this work!

Oh yeah ... Kelty's hair was HORRIBLE! She did some funky layer in the back but didn't take length of the bottom ... which I think is why it was so much like a mullet!

Jaime @ Our Journey said...

Also ....

I'm sorry to hear that you've lost one of your clients. Hope things turn around for you. I'm happy that you have some other options available that can help you out for a while!