Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Tasty Tuesday: Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread

My friend Lace let me borrow a book, Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day and I attempted a recipe from it this week. I'll tell you right now, I loved it! No kneading! And the bread tastes and smells wonderful! I love smelling homemade wheat bread, it reminds me of when my Mom used to make it. Here's the recipe, I'll add more of my two cents in at the end :)

100% Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread
Makes 3 1 1/2 pound loaves. The recipe can be easily doubled or halved.

1 1/2 cups lukewarm water
1 1/2 cups lukewarm milk
1 1/2 tablespoons granulated yeast (1 1/2 packets)
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup honey
5 tablespoons neutral flavored oil, plus more for greasing the pan (I used EVOO)
6 2/3 cups whole wheat flour (avoid whole wheat pastry flour or "graham" flour) (I guess I ended up using "graham" flour...I just looked on the package....it wasn't obvious when I got it...it all turned out okay though LOL)

1. Mixing and storing the dough: mix the yeast, salt, honey and oil with the milk and water in a 5-quart bowl, or a lidded (not airtight) food container.

2. Mix in the remaining dry ingredients without kneading. Use a spoon, a 14-cup capacity food processor (with dough attachment), or a heavy-duty stand mixer (with dough hook).

3. Cover (not airtight) and allow to rest at room temperature until the dough rises and collapses (or flattens on top); approximately 2-3 hours.

4. The dough can be used immediately after the initial rise, though it is easier to handle when cold. Refrigerate in a lidded (not airtight) container and use over the next 5 days.

5. On baking day. lightly grease a 9x4x3-inch nonstick loaf pan. Using wet hands, scoop out a 1 1/2-pound (canteloupe-size) handful of dough. This dough is pretty sticky and often it's easiest to handle it with wet hands. Keeping your hands wet, quickly shape it into a ball by stretching the surface of the dough around to the bottom on all four sides, rotating the ball a quarter-turn as you go. (my dough was not pliable at all, I had to shape the ball myself...no stretching here! Now that I know I actually ended up using graham flour...that's probably why)

6. Drop the loaf into the prepared pan. You want to fill the pan slightly more than half-full.

7. Allow the dough to rest for 1 hour and 40 minutes. Flour the top of the loaf and slash, using the top of a serrated bread knife.

8. Twenty minutes before baking time, preheat the oven to 350, with an empty broiler tray on any other shelf that won't interfere with the rising bread. If you're not using a stone, the preheat can be as short as 5 minutes. (Honestly, I have no idea what a broiler pan is LOL I just stuck a round cake pan with water in it, in when I put the bread in LOL)
9. Place the loaf on a rack near the center of the oven. Pour 1 cup of hot tap water into the broiler tray and quickly close the oven door. Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until deeply browned and firm. (I baked for the full time, but could have gone 10 minutes less. The crust is a little too tough for my liking)

10. Allow to cool completely before slicing in order to cut reasonable sandwich slices. (and they mean it too. I couldn't wait and cut a piece while it was still warm...it crumbles alot. This morning I was cutting slices and had no problem with crumbling)


Even with using the graham flour (whoops!) and having no clue what a broiler pan is (and if my pan worked...) the bread was super yummy! I'll definitely be making it again. Although in the future I may actually attempt to find a whole wheat flour that isn't graham (I can't figure out what the difference is....can ya tell I don't bake a whole ton?!?! LOL).

As far as sandwiches go? You would have to cut these slices pretty thin for them to work, it's a heavy bread. I would probably do an open-faced sandwich with them!

This bread is toddler-approved! Both of my boys chowed it down!

I'm just glad that I don't have to buy store bread anymore, the stuff is nasty and full of crap. I'm happy to know that I can now provide my boys with a healthy, pretty cheap, option!

2 comments:

Kristie said...

I'm glad it turned out for you! I would try making some today if I had the right flour and honey. We love using whole wheat bread for sandwiches here, but it's always store-bought. I've only ever made white breads. My mom also makes wheat breads-she's always trying something new! Many times they're multi-grain and they're better as toast, not sandwich bread.

lace said...

Forgot to tell you an important part of the book. Did you find the loose pages that have the errors in the book? If I remember right, the saying to use 1 1/2 packets of yeast is an error and that it should be 2 packets (or 1 1/2 tbsp) Apparently there were enough errors in the first printing of the book that there is an errors page on their website. Check your recipe to make sure it's not on that list I printed off.

So glad your bread turned out. I've yet to try that one, might be next on my list.