Thursday, June 17, 2010

The Great Katie Kate Tackles Questions About Cancer














The Great Katie Kate Tackles Questions About Cancer

by M. Maitland DeLand, M.D.

From the book:
Join the Great Katie Kate as she starts a young cancer patient on the road to understanding.

When Suzy learns she might have cancer, she begins to worry - until the Great Katie Kate puts her mind at ease. As the Great Katie Kate explains all about cancer and cancer treatments, Suzy regains her confidence, making the Worry Wombat disappear.
-taken from the back of the book


From me: I did not read this book to my boys because I really didn't want to introduce them to cancer yet. Honestly, I'm not sure I'll read it to them at all, just because this book really seems to be written only for children who may have cancer.

For children (I'd say in the 4-10 year range) who may be facing this process in the near future, I think this book is a good introduction to what may happen and may help to ease their fears a bit. Although it really does not go to in-depth about what the various procedures do and it does kinda gloss over the pain/sick/tired aspect of the whole thing. I think following Suzy on her journey of tests and treatments would have given more information than trying to fit all the information into one office visit.

*****
I was offered this book in exchange for my review. All opinions are my own.

0 comments: