Monday, June 28, 2010

Tasty Tuesday: Homeade Granola Bars

I got this recipe from What's for lunch at our house. Shannon posts the bentos she makes for her family, tutorials of all the cute little food designs she makes and recipes! This recipe looked pretty simple, and it was! I like that I could add in any extras I wanted. I had bought chocolate chips and dried cherries to put into my first attempt, but the little sneaks that are called my children found the bag and ate them while I was taking a shower one day!

My comments are in italic.


Homemade Granola Bars










3 1/4 cups rolled Oats (or combination of oats and other whole grains)
3/4 cups Whole Wheat flour (or all-purpose)
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 T. Vanilla Extract (I didn't have a full T of vanilla so I put a little almond extract in)
1/4 cup vegetable oil (used canola, what I had on hand)
1/2 cup honey
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cups "Stuff" (I used fresh blueberries)

1. Preheat oven to 325.

2. In a large mixing bowl combine oats, flour, baking soda, and any spices you want to use.

3. In a separate bowl, combine vanilla, oil, and honey.

4. Pour wet mix into dry and stir to combine.

5. Stir in the "stuff" you want to use.

6. Spray an edged cookie sheet or pan with cooking spray and press VERY firmly into cookie sheet. (I used a 7x11 pan that was perfect for this). (I actually just spread about a T of the canola oil I had with my hand).

7. Bake at 325 for 18-20 minutes until top is turning golden brown.

8. Remove from oven and firmly press down bars again with a spatula or similar, and allow to cool for 10-15 minutes.

9. Cut into bars--they are hard to cut if you allow it to completely cool.

10. Allow to finish cooling completely before removing from pan.

I have no clue if the boys will eat them or not. I want to say yes, because they normally scarf down granola bars, but we will see! It's midnight so they won't get them until tomorrow morning LOL

Me? I ate one and...loved it! It's not crunchy or dry and it doesn't fall apart when you take them out of the pan or are holding them. They are definitely filling and the taste is fabulous! I think I'm going to add some apples to my next batch. (Yes, I am for sure making these again!)

1 comments:

Kristie said...

They sound great! I'll have to try them one of these days. Rich just picked me up some honey from a local person so I could make some cookoies my mom used to make when I was little, so I have plenty now! These would be great for something quick for Rich to grab in the mornings for breakfast, since he's usually running out the door to work-LOL!