Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Tasty Tuesday: Roasted Asparagus

Musings of a Housewife posted this recipe and I couldn't wait to try it! I've never been a fan of asparagus. The few times I've had it, it was not tasty. But this recipe? Yummy!

One trick I was told by a friend though is this: after you wash the asparagus, take it by each end and gently bend it until it snaps. Keep the flowered end (is that the right word for it??) and, no matter how much is on the other end, throw it out. I followed her instructions and the asparagus tasted super good so I would say it's good advice :)

So, here's Jo-Lynne's recipe; with my comments in italics :)

Roasted Asparagus

asparagus
olive oil
sea salt
freshly ground black pepper
a block of parmesan cheese (I used already grated Parmesan cheese, ya know, the kind you buy in the spaghetti aisle?)


1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.

2. Wash your asparagus under cold water, and chop off the bottom 1/3 of the stalks. (If you want to be fancy, you can peel them, but I don’t bother.) (I didn't bother)

3. Place them on a half-sheet pan (a baking pan with short sides.) (I used a cookie sheet) Drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss lightly and arrange in a single layer so they cook evenly.

4. Pop ‘em in the oven. Now here’s the trick. Watch closely. It may take 10 minutes, maybe 15. Don’t overcook them. I’ve burned them more times than I care to count. It depends on how thick the stalks are, but for medium to thick stalks, 15 minutes usually does it. You want them still crisp-tender. After 10 minutes, open the oven, shake the pan a little, try to flip them over. If they’re browning, take them out. If not, give them another 5 minutes. (I was able to get a fork through them easily but they were still crunchy)

5. Take them out and shred fresh Parmesan on top. Allow to melt and serve warm.

That’s it! So yummy. You can do the same thing with broccoli, cauliflower, or brussels sprouts, by the way. Parmesan is optional.

*****

Okay, you definitely want to eat these warm! I was busy getting the boys' dinner and I ended up eating the last few stalks after they had cooled off and they just weren't as good. But, I've already bought more asparagus so I can make more!

Visit Jo-Lynne's blog for more natural, yummy recipes!

3 comments:

Kristie said...

I made asparagus for the first time this summer and roasted it (because I had seen it done that way on Rachel Ray forever ago). I did it basically the same, but used butter instead and no pepper (which sounds awesome and will have to remember that next time!)

joven said...

hi, you have nice blog.. u can view also mine..http://akoniwares.blogspot.com

Rhonda said...

That's sounds great. I need to introduce aspargus to my boys! They have never tasted it!