Thursday, July 1, 2010

The Heart Mender












The Heart Mender

by Andy Andrews

The Heart Mender is the story of Andy Andrews who, while digging up a tree root in his backyard, discovered a few uniform buttons and pictures and went on a mission to find the story behind them. What he discovers is a WWII American widow and the German U-boat officer who washed ashore on her beach.


Helen's husband had been killed by the Nazi's and her life since then had been filled with anger, resentment and bitterness. Josef had been betrayed and left for dead, far from his country and friends.

The Heart Mender is a story of love, of healing, of the awesome power of forgiveness.

When I first started this book, I admit, I was bored. I thought it was going to be a narrative of how the author found clues, buried in his backyard, and went on a 239-page search for the rest of the story. Boy was I wrong! While the book started out with the author's discovery, he quickly fell into story-telling and I was caught up!

Helen and Josef's story is amazing! The way Andrews shares their story, is amazing! What an awesome story of the power that love and forgiveness can have when you just let go of all the crap. I LOVED this book and I know you will too!

And I am so excited because, not only was I sent a copy of The Heart Mender to review...I was sent one to give away as well!

I'm not going to make the rules to complicated for this one. Just answer the question below and make sure your e-mail address is easily accessible. I will leave this giveaway open until July 5th (@ noon) and then I will choose a winner. You MUST respond to the e-mail I send within 24 hours, or I will choose a new winner. USA residents only please.

Answer this question: Have you ever found something while digging around in your house or yard? What was it and was there a great story behind it? (I would love to hear it!)

*****
I was given a copy of this book to review (and a copy to give away) by Thomas Nelson in exchange for my honest review. All opinions are my own!

1 comments:

lace said...

While redoing the basement they found an old gallon Horlick's Malted Milk bottle. I'm surprised it wasn't broke. We've now got it sitting on our plant ledge in the kitchen.

This sounds like a great book. I love to read WWII books. If I don't win, can I read yours?