Friday, July 9, 2010

What's in the Bible?



What’s in the Bible? is a new DVD series from VeggieTales creator Phil Vischer designed to walk kids and families through the entire Bible.* In this 13-dvd series Phil Vischer, along with several puppets and songs introduces children to the Bible, book by book at a fairly quick, entertaining clip.

What I love about this series: This isn't your typical, famous-Bible-stories kids' dvd. Yeah, those stories are in there, but Phil widens his focus to include alot more than that. The first episode of DVD 1: In The Beginning, starts out just talking about the Bible. What's in the Bible, who wrote the Bible, who decided what books would be included in the Bible etc. I was pleasantly surprised! This is all stuff I grew up learning as a home school kid, but that alot of children these days just do not know!

The focus of these dvd's is not to solely teach kids the major Bible stories. It's to familiarize kids with the WHOLE Bible.There is so much information packed into these episodes that I don't even know where to start in explaining them to you. It is a treasure trove! I love how Phil takes time to explain the history behind stories. When he gets to all those laws in Deuteronomy, he explains why we don't have to follow all those rules now.

I think What's in the Bible is an excellent diving board for discussions with older children...and a great introduction for the younger ones. Noah and Jack were both very interested in What's in the Bible. I thought the info would be a little over their heads, but the busyness really helped! They both enjoyed the songs and What's in the Bible is the only show they have asked to turn on these last couple of weeks!

This fall I am planning on home schooling both of the boys and I wanted to include some kind of Biblical learning along with all that reading and math...and I think I've found my lessons! I think it will be great to watch one episode a week and then spend the remaining days delving into what was covered with a little more detail. The boys are young, so we won't get to complicated, but I can see this being a series you could use every year! There is so much information that just cannot be covered in such a short period of time that it makes it easy to choose the lessons that are right at your kids' level and teach those and the older the kids get, the more in-depth those lessons can get!


The three dvd's I have seen are:
DVD 1: In the Beginning
DVD 2: Let My People Go!
DVD 3: Wanderin' in the Desert

These are the best videos that you could ever buy for your kids!

*Taken from the official description
Thanks to Tyndale House Publishers for providing the first three dvd's in this series in exchange for an unbiased review.

1 comments:

Angela said...

Now this is one I will definitely be getting one day. It's above Jacob's head, and Nathan is still a bit young for it. I don't want to wear it out before he's old enough to understand. But, I am putting this on the Christmas list!!!!