Saturday, September 11, 2010

I can't ignore it

I'm following quite a few bloggers while they are on a journey to the hillsides of Guatemala with Compassion International. They are seeing how the money that sponsors send change lives. And over and over, every. single. blogger. shares how important letters are to these children. The differences between those with sponsors and those with sponsors who write are huge. And it's really prompted me to set aside time, at least, once a month to write. My girls may have parents, but they need to know that I care about them too.

I struggle with writing to children I do not know, who have a completely different life. I have to be careful what I say, because I have so much and they, so little.

But I will write.

I've seen many pictures of Guatemalan homes that, in America, would not even qualify as a shed. I look around at my things and realize I have too much.

It's not needed.

It's not treasured.

All of these things could have been another sponsored child.

My debt, instead of being a burden - could have been a child given wings.

A family given hope.

I want to live my life differently. Smaller. Freely.

I don't know how to do that.

America is full of bigger and better and more and now. And I've learned it well.

Now I'm going to attempt to un-learn it.

For my boys:













And my girls:









And whoever else HE decides to send my way.

2 comments:

Odie Langley said...

I saw firsthand when I was in Viet Nam some of the same situations you mention and it does touch your heart and make you think about all the "stuff" we have and all that we throw away simply because we are tired of it and want newer stuff. The older I get the less I care about things and as my blog says the Simple Life. I applaude you for wanting to help them and hope you can instil that into your boys as well. You are affecting my thinking right now and that is good thing. Thanks,
Odie

Odie Langley said...

I'm back, was just watching Live from Thomas Road Baptist Church that come on at 7:30 on TBN and Jonathan was talking about how they sent a team to help those dear people recently. Building, teaching and doing whatever they could in the time alloted. So a lot is going on there which is a good thing. Just wanted to share that.