Thursday, September 23, 2010

Running Around (and Such)















Running Around (and Such)
By Linda Byler

About the book:
Lizzie Glick longs to fit into her quiet Amish community. Her sisters, Emma and Mandy, are ready to get married and settle into the traditional rhythm of having children and keeping house. But Lizzie isn't sure that's what she wants for her future. It isn't that Lizzie doesn't want to stay Amish. It's just that there's so much to figure out!

Stephen, her quiet, gentle friend, hints that he might be interested in a relationship deeper than friendship, but Lizzie is also drawn to the charming Amos who seems to have eyes for everyone but her.

She has certainly attracted the attention of the egg-truck driver. A thrill runs through her every time the worldly man comes to pick up an order, each time extending his stay a little longer. How long will she keep this a secret from Emma - and Mam and Dat?

What will become of Lizzie? She has too hot a temper. She hates housework and dislikes babies. She loves driving fast horses but is petrified of going away from home for a week to work as a muad (maid). Is she too spirited, too innocent, and almost to uninhibited for a young Amish woman?

From me:
Running Around was an...interesting glimpse of Amish life. This definitely wasn't your typical Amish story. Lizzie is a stubborn, rebellious girl; her family talks about reading their Bible and having their sins forgiven (not your typical Amish faith) and you don't venture much past Lizzie's families farm. It was less about rules and friendships and more about a young teen trying to find her place in her world. My first thought was that the author hadn't a clue what Amish life was like and was just taking advantage of the Amish fiction boom, but the back of the book states that Linda Byler is actually Amish herself. I'm still not sure what I think of the book; it took such a detour from the normal storyline that I felt a little lost through the whole thing. Will I continue with the series? Probably not. It's a little too immature for my tastes. I have a feeling though that my sisters (who are in their teens) may snatch it from my bookshelf and not give it back!

Thanks to FSB Associates for a free copy of the book in exchange for my honest review.

1 comments:

Odie Langley said...

Lancaster PA is one of my favorite places to be and to return to. I fully believe that the book is not accurate and have the deepest respect for the Amish. I have such a peace about me when I am around them and hate to leave when it comes time to return home. Hope you have a great weekend.
Odie