Thursday, October 21, 2010

The Reluctant Entertainer











The Reluctant Entertainer

by Sandy Coughlin

From the book: True hospitality is not about being perfect, cooking a fancy meal, or spending a lot of money. Rather, it's about an open door and an open heart. Popular blogger Sandy Coughlin offers a simple but savvy approach to help women break free of the anxieties that keep them from opening their homes. Emphasizing the forgotten goal of entertaining - connecting deeply with others - she shows how women can use the gifts and talents God gave them to reach out in love.

From me: I have not finished reading this book yet, I'm about halfway though, but I really couldn't wait any longer to share it with you! It is fabulous! I have always been a self-proclaimed hermit because I'm so socially awkward it isn't even funny. I'm bad at meeting new people and am always tongue-tied. But at the same time, I want friends! And not only that, but being a single mom makes it difficult for me to get out much and I've really been wrestling with the question: "what can I do for God when I'm bad in social situations and broke on top of that?" I want to make a difference. The Reluctant Entertainer was such an amazing answer for me! Sandy is so great at, first of all, telling you to stop trying to be perfect! Nobody cares and perfect people normally intimidate anyways (isn't that so true?). Then she gives you tips and tricks on what to do with what you have and who you are. The main focus is always the connections you are making and I definitely lost sight of that in the worries that I have Goodwill mis-matched dishes, bare walls and very sad cooking skills.

If you're like me and you're terrified of inviting people into your home, then you definitely need to pick up this book and read it! Sandy has actually made me excited to invite people over and I really think God is showing me a path I can take, now, to make a difference in people's lives!

(Check out Sandy's blog too!)

Thanks to Bethany House Publishers for offering me a copy of this book in exchange for my honest opinion.

1 comments:

Kristie said...

This definitely sounds like a book I could use! I've been having play dates with the kids Rich's aunt babysits and of course we have the kids' birthdays and Rich's Opening Day Eve, but I always STRESS about cleaning the house and worry that it doesn't look good enough. (And that just mostly family!) Now it's my turn to host Girls' Night Out and I've been putting it off because I'm worried about what they'll think of my place :-/ Do you think Bethany House Publishers would want to send me this one? Just kidding, but it would be nice! :-)