Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Dixie Divas















Dixie Divas
by Virginia Brown

From the book: Wine, Chocolate, transvestite strippers. Just another good-time get-together for the Dixie Divas of historic Holly Springs, Mississippi, where moonlight and magnolias mingle with delicious small town scandal. But Eureka "Trinket" Truevine, the newest Diva, gets more than she bargained for when she finds her best Diva girlfriend Bitty Hollandale's ex-husband in Bitty's hall closet. He's dead. Very dead. Now Trinket and the Divas have to help Bitty finger the murderer and clear her name. Break out the hoops and the zinfandel. The Divas are on the case.

From me: Dixie Divas moved a little too slow for my taste. There was more aimless wandering than fact-finding and clue-gathering; and to be completely honest, I was a little lost when it came to recognizing clues and putting them together. Which means one of two things: either I was completely off my game and missed everything or the author wasn't so hot at involving the reader by laying out clues for us. I'm not quite sure which it was.

The other thing that was also a bit of a bummer was that this was not the intricate crime I'm used to reading about. Even after finishing the book, I found the culprit and solution to be a little too simplistic and not thoroughly explained.

This is book one in the Dixie Divas mystery series. You can read an excerpt from the book here.

If you like Southern Belles who drink wine and solve mysteries, you'll like this series!

My Rating: I'd give Dixie Divas a 3 out of 5.

Thanks to Belle Books for offering my a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

1 comments:

Odie Langley said...

Not my type of book but gives me an opportunity to respond to you. I am into the 2nd CD and they are awesome. I even sent the pastor an email asking for notes or outlines if available since I listen in my car and want something to remind me of important points later. Thanks again for helping me get the messages.