Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Loosen your Grip

"As he went out into the street, a man came running up, greeted him with great reverence, and asked, 'Good Teacher, what must I do to get eternal life?' Jesus said, 'Why are you calling me good? No one is good, only God. You know the commandments: Don't murder, don't commit adultery, don't steal, don't lie, don't cheat, honor your father and mother.' He said, 'Teacher, I have - from my youth - kept them all!' Jesus looked him hard in the eye - and loved him! He said, 'There's one thing left: Go sell whatever you own and give it to the poor. All your wealth will then be heavenly wealth. And come follow me.' The man's face clouded over. This was the last thing he expected to hear, and he walked off with a heavy heart. He was holding on tight to a lot of things, and not about to let go."

-Mark 10:17-22


This is apparently something that God is serious about in my life *sigh* Not only has this topic been brought up more than once through church and my scripture reading, but the book I picked up to read this week, A Steadfast Surrender by Nancy Moser, is dealing with this very same subject.

I don't think God asks everyone to literally sell everything they own and become homeless for him. I think the more important issue is: "holding on tight to a lot of things, and not about to let go."

God looks at the heart. What is taking the place of Him in our lives? What are we holding onto that is stopping us from serving people, saving people, following where God leads? What is distracting us? Entertaining us? What keeps us so busy that we don't have time to hear God's voice and go or do what he wants us to?

As I sit here, typing this post, I am surrounded by a stack of DVD's. Not a single one of the titles in this stack are bad. Yet, I have been asked to give them up. Why? Because I hold them tight. I turn on these movies and I tune out God. I spend more time with my TV screen than I do with people and it has a negative impact on my faith, on my service and on my relationship with my Savior. I've battled with God over giving them up. He's asked many times, and I've given Him one or two and pulled the rest tightly to my chest. "They're not bad movies", I whine. "It's how I relax from a long day" I cry. But yet, he still stands with his hands outstretched. Today, I give him all that He has asked. Tomorrow, who knows what He'll ask of me, but I'm a little excited to see where we're going. I'm ready for a change. I'm ready to make a difference. To Out Live My Life.

What about you?

What are you holding tight to and not about to let go?

4 comments:

Kristie said...

That's so neat that you've taken the leap and let go! I think my problem would be the internet...how do I give that up? :-(

Odie Langley said...

You'll have us all thinking hard on that one. Great first step. Thanks for helping us to see the problem.
Odie

Aubrey said...

Ouch! I don't wanna think in that direction. Sometimes I feel so self-righteous because our family does live a very simplistic life. In my mind I don't even have that much stuff to hold on to tightly. But then I hear a challenge like this and I look around at all I DO still cling to. I have SO much more than I need. I am going to be stewing over this for awhile.

What I Did Today said...

Very tough subject. I heard about this at church on Sunday. And again here on your blog. I think maybe I need to focus on this and take a hard look at my life so I know what it is I need to give up. I'm guessing it's too much time on the computer....