Monday, January 10, 2011

Out Live Your Life











Out Live Your Live

by Max Lucado

From the book: We are common folk. We sit in the bleachers, eat at diners, change diapers, and wear our favorite team's ball cap. Fans don't wave when we pass. Servants don't scurry when we come home. Chauffeurs don't drive our cars; butlers don't open our doors or draw our baths. Doormen don't greet us, and security doesn't protect us. We are regular folk.

And we wonder: Does God use people like us?

He did. God stampeded the first-century society with swaybacks, not thoroughbreds. Before Jesus came along, the disciples were loading trucks, coaching soccer, and selling Slurpee drinks at the convenience store. Their collars were blue, and their hands were calloused, and there is no evidence that Jesus chose them because they were smarter or nicer than the guy next door. The one thing they had going for them was a willingness to take a step when Jesus said, "Follow me."

Are you more dinghy than cruise ship? More stand-in than movie star? More blue jeans than blue blood? Congratulations. God changes the world with folks like you.
-Taken from the cover of the book


From me: I don't read many self-help or Christian living books; I've never had the patience to read a book full of tips and tricks to improve your life. However, I was scanning the most recent offerings from Book Sneeze and Max Lucado's book, with a towel-wearing child hero and a title inviting me to "Out Live My Life", grabbed my attention. I mean, who doesn't want to out live their life (and who hasn't donned a cape at one point or another)? I think we've all had those moments where we wish we could land ourselves in a newspaper article, television interview or, the Holy Grail, a book. I read about people all the time who are dead, but yet, they live on. People who did amazing things, George Mueller, Mother Theresa, Martin Luther King. I want to do something amazing, but I don't feel capable of such greatness.

In Out Live Your Life, Max Lucado gently challenges you to greatness. Through simple illustrations, explanations and Bible verses, he shows you how to change the world. To make a difference. He doesn't give you a recipe for international fame. But he does show you how the small things add up to great changes in people's lives. It's encouragement for me. I did have a hard time getting through the book because, I just have a hard time reading non-fiction books. However, I loved the book and think it's worth reading. The chapters are short and simple enough that I think it could be used as a daily devotional. For you alone, as a couple or as a family. I think it could prompt some great discussion, as a family, on how to out live your lives!

(If you follow the book's link, you will be able to read the first chapter!)


My Rating: 4

Thanks to Book Sneeze and the publisher for offering me a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

2 comments:

Odie Langley said...

Just knowing he wrote it means it will be good to a lot of folks. Hope you and the boys are doing OK and not getting any of the sickness that has been going around. Stay warm & happy.
Odie

JustBummin said...

Speaking of short chapters and the book can be used kind of as a devotional, Max also has the Lucado Life Lessons Bible, which is the accompanying Bible to Outlive Your Life. It's full of "life lessons" that even stand on their own as devo material. There's also a free iPhone and Android app that has a full year's worth of the devotions if your interested. Just thought I would share.