Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Baked Potato Soup











Baked Potato Soup

crockpot style

Borrowed from Stephanie at A Year of Slow Cooking

  • 5 lbs potatoes, peeled and diced
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon red pepper
  • 2 quarts chicken broth (6-14 oz. cans)
  • 2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese
  • crumbled bacon (optional)
  • Shredded Cheddar Cheese (optional)
  • Green onions or chives (optional)
Okay, first things first. A clove is not referring to one of the whole garlic in the bag you bought at Save-A-Lot. That's a bulb. Start trying to peel the garlic; when it starts crumbling into pieces, that's a clove. Why am I telling you this? Well, only because I put 4 bulbs of garlic in my soup.

Yep.

Thankfully the garlic fog in my home clued me in early and I Googled frantically until I found that baking soda would fix my problem. After skimming out most of the minced garlic and adding 3 pinches of baking soda, I was good to go!

So, back to the recipe. THROW your potatoes, onion, garlic cloves, seasoned salt, pepper, red pepper and chicken broth into a crockpot. Stephanie suggests using a 6 qt. crockpot or larger. I have no clue what size mine was, but it all fit...just barely.

COVER and cook on high for 4 hours (or low for double the time). THEN you need to decide whether you want a creamy soup or chunky. If the former, grab a masher or blender and get busy. GRAB your cream cheese and crumble it into the crockpot. Put the lid back on and cook for another 30 minutes or until the cream cheese has dissolved. You need to stir it a few times during this time.

This is the part where I tell you that I was unsuccessful at getting the cream cheese to completely dissolve. I ended up with "floaties", which tasted fine, but was not pretty. Honestly, I'd rather use heavy whipping cream and will probably try that the next time I make this soup.

SERVE
with bacon, shredded cheddar cheese and green onions. Or not. Whatever floats your boat.

It was super yummy. Although neither of the boys would touch it. They ate rolls. This is definitely going into my rotation since it's simple and tasty!

5 comments:

Odie Langley said...

That is comfort food for sure.

Jaime @ Our Journey said...

4 bulbs of garlic ... 4 bulbs of garlic!! Ahhh! Oh goodness, I could not stop laughing! I'm glad you figured out a fix ... the soup looks fantastic!

Kristie said...

Sounds delicious!

The garlic is too funny! I can't even begin to imagine the smell in your place!! LOL! I think we've all done things like that while cooking/baking (a stick of butter is 1/2 cup NOT 1/4 cup!!! LOL!)...always good for a laugh later on and chances are you'll never forget the difference between a clove and a bulb :-)

lace said...

I love garlic but I think even 4 bulbs might be a bit too much for me. HA!

Aubrey said...

When I was on my college singing team, we were eating lunch with this little old southern lady at a semi-fancy restaurant when I chomped down on 3 huge chunks of water-chestnuts, my fave!!! Needless to say, they were not water-chestnuts at all, but actually whole garlic cloves. I was too embarrassed to spit them out, so I just chewed them up and swallowed them.

The next week we went on a train trip to Oregon with 25 family members and my brand-new fiance. People on the train kept asking what that weird smell was. Yep, it was me. Mortifying!!