Saturday, March 5, 2011

Inconceivable














Inconceivable
by Carolyn & Sean Savage

From the book: "We have three children. Or do we have four? A strange question, but the kind that parents who have lost a child ask themselves from time to time. That absent child is always with you, a loss you feel some days as a yearning and other days in a gasp of pain. My husband Sean and I still grieve the son we lost, despite the unusual circumstances that forced us to give away a baby we thought of as our own. This was a child whom I nurtured and we both protected from the forces conspiring against his survival. Yet I understood that I may never hold him in my arms again and that the next time I see him, he will think of me as a stranger. Perhaps I will never be able to heal the ache that is the place he occupies in my heart At the same time, I know that if Sean and I had this decision to make again, we'd do exactly the same for this little boy."

When Carolyn and Sean Savage learned in February 2009 that their fertility doctor had transferred the wrong embryos into Carolyn's body and she was now pregnant with another couple's child, they embarked on a journey unlike any other. Inconceivable is a riveting story of sacrifice, love and the meaning of motherhood.
-taken from the book

From me: I, apparently, completely missed this story when it was in the news (in 2009), so I was not familiar with this story at all, but oh.my.gosh. What a sad, sad mistake. I teared up for most of the book. I'm sure that having carried and birthed my own children are what encouraged the water works, but I honestly could not even imagine having to deal with this kind of situation and I am so honored to be able to read the "inside story" from Sean and Carolyn. I am amazed at how they handled this crazy, heart-breaking situation with such grace and peace. This is definitly a story you will want to read, whether you heard of this family or not. Just make sure to have a box of Kleenex handy!

Thanks to fsb Asscoiates for offering me a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

3 comments:

Odie Langley said...

I have only had one book do that for me and that was "The Shack". Don't know if I could handle this one.

Kristie said...

The whole scenerio is hard to imagine that it could even happen! Wow!

Anonymous said...

hi