Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Roast & Rice

We attempted a new pot roast recipe the other day. It was meh. My mom and I were discussing how boring roast is. No matter what seasonings you put with it, it never takes on a different flavor. It's always just pot roast. So, it seems that the key is what you put with the roast to make it taste good. Our "leftover" roast meal was fabulous! And super simple.

We grabbed a couple boxes of Mexican rice from the grocery store, followed the directions to prepare it. Then we shredded up our leftover roast and mixed it in with the rice. Top it with some melted cheese and you have a fantastic meal! It almost tastes like something you could roll up in a tortilla, if you were so inclined! Either way, I'd rather make the roast and use it in this recipe than just eat it plain!

How do you cook and eat roast? Any really great tasting recipes?

1 comments:

Kristie said...

I agree with roasts being boring!!! I have the hardest time wanting to eat them the first night let alone leftovers-LOL! BUT, my mom's recipe for BBQ beef with leftover roast is pretty awesome and we actually JUST finished a batch of it last night. (I also just read somewhere that you can spoon BBQ beef into muffin pans, stick it into the freezer and then pop them out and put them in a airtight container/bag to have individual BBQ beef sandwiches whenever you like...after microwaving of course.)

Here is mom's recipe for BBQ Beef:
4 cups pulled beef (roast)
1/4 cup vinegar
1-1/2 cups water
1/4 cup sugar
4 tsps mustard
1 Tbsp salt
2 sliced onions (optional, I may have used a half of one)
1/2 cup butter (optional, I didn't use and still tastes great!)
1 cup ketchup
3 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce

Cook down on stove until desired thickness.

**I have a recipe for onion sandwich rolls that I made to go with some BBQ Pork a few weeks ago that would be awesome with this if you'd like that too!