Wednesday, March 16, 2011

A Trail of Ink














A Trail of Ink
By Mel Starr

About the book: "I had never seen Master John Wycliff so afflicted. He told me later that it was as onerous to plunder a bachelor scholar's books as to steal another man's wife. I had, at the time, no way to assess the accuracy of that opinion, for I had no wife and few books."

So begins another delightful and intriguing tale from the life of Hugh de Singleton, surgeon in the medieval village of Bampton, near Oxford, and baliff of Bampton castle. Hugh sets his cap at the delightful Kate, who proves equally resourceful in the search for the missing books. Some very determined adversaries are out to stop him, permanently if necessary - but are they motivated by greed, or more personal animosity? Then the corpse of a poor scholar, who had tried to sell one of the books, is found in the river: but he had not simply drowned...
-taken from the book

From me: I was a little worried when I first started A Trail of Ink because I had not realized it was the third book in the series: Hugh de Singleton, surgeon; but thankfully I didn't feel like I was missing anything and quickly fell into Hugh's world. Written in old English, the book was a relaxing stroll through a mystery (which was not simply solved in my mind), with a little romance thrown in. I really enjoyed it. I think my favorite parts were when Hugh talked to God or about him. His take on God's thoughts were entertaining. I will probably, at some point, search out the previous two books and read them as well.

I also though it was neat that the author, Mel Starr, lives in Michigan. It always gives me a little thrill to read books (or watch films) by people from my simple little state.

Thanks to Litfuse Publishing for offering me a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review!

2 comments:

Kristie said...

I don't know much I could read in Old English, but I like listening to it in movies! :-)

That's neat the author is from MI!

Diane said...

I also reviewed this book and really liked it. I just ordered his other two in the series. Have a good week! :O)