Thursday, April 21, 2011

The Band That Played On


The Band That Played On
The extraordinary story of the 8 musicians who went down with the TITANIC
by Steve Turner

From the book: The movies, the documentaries,the museum exhibits. They often tell the same story about the "unsinkable" Titanic, her wealthy passengers, the families torn apart, and the unthinkable end. But never before has "that glorious band" - the group of eight musicians who played on as the Titanic slipped deeper and deeper into the Atlantic Ocean - been explored in such depth. Steve Turner's extensive research reveals a fascinating story including dishonest agents, a clairvoyant, social climbers, and a fraudulent violin maker. Read what brought the band members together and how their music served as the haunting soundtrack for one of modern history's most tragic maritime disasters.


From me:
I have always been a little obsessed with the Titanic story. Since I was a young girl I've searched out novels, movies, biographies and documentaries on it. I'm not sure why I have such an interest in the sinking of the Titanic, but I do! So, of course, I was gonna read about The Band That Played On!

While this book does not contain eight extraordinary tales, as the title suggests, the author did great research and the lives of all eight band members are well recorded in this book.

If you've ever read any novels or biographies on the lives of the people on the Titanic, than The Band That Played On should be added to your reading list!

Thanks to Book Sneeze for offering me a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review!

1 comments:

Odie Langley said...

I do remember how they seemed to keep playing even when they knew it would be the end.