Tuesday, April 5, 2011

BBQ Pulled Pork - Crockpot!

To pay my mom back for the bills she's been covering for me (and the fact that she's letting me live in her garage apartment for free) I've been doing the grocery shopping and dinner fixing for her. She's been so busy lately that the poor teenagers are starving. And you know how teens get if they don't have food. Since I've been able to take advantage of her, much larger, grocery budget, I've been having fun trying out all the recipes I've been saving.

This pulled pork recipe is, so far, the most popular. Even though it had onions in it.

Besides the fact that I used bone-in pork roast (not sure what "part" it was hehe), I followed Stephanie's recipe to a T and it was easy and fabulous! The best part is that this is a crockpot recipe so little work!

4 pounds, boneless pork shoulder (or...whatever...I'm pretty sure mine wasn't shoulder)
1 onion, sliced in rings
2 cups ketchup (24oz bottle)
1/2 cup warm water
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon Tobasco sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt

1. Plop your meat in a crockpot. (Stephanie suggested a 6-quart crockpot).
2. Add the onions.
3. squeeze in your ketchup - then put the warm water into the, now empty, ketchup container, shake and then dump it into the crockpot.
4. Add the remaining ingredients.
5. Cover and cook on low 8-10 hours or until the meat shreds easily.

I made this Saturday night before going to bed and by the time church was over Sunday, the meat was done! We may or may not have flipped our crock to warm before going to church. I can't remember. But either way, the crockpot is my new favorite kitchen item on Sundays...do you think anyone will get sick of crockpot recipes?! Oh, and the bone was no problem, we just pulled the meat out served it on a platter.

Check out Stephanie's blog: A Year of Slow Cooking for more amazing recipes! (she even has two crockpot books out now!)

2 comments:

Odie Langley said...

I checked out her page and will have to try some of her recipes soon. Thanks

Kristie said...

Yum! I'd like to try a BBQ pork recipe where all the ingredients cook together in the crockpot. (The one I do the pork is cooked ahead and the shredded and then the rest cooked together on the stove.) I actually have one of Stephanie's books too (won it a while back)-I bet this is in it!