Wednesday, May 4, 2011

The Journey














The Journey
by Wanda E. Brunstetter

From the book: Titus Fisher has often made poor choices. When he lived in Pennsylvania he chose the wrong girl, who broke his heart. When he moves to Kentucky, he finally discovers that he possesses woodworking skills. Will he stick with it or return to the old comforts - and love - from his life in Lancaster?

Suzanne Yoder's talents don't lie in the traditional Amish kitchen, bit she suppresses artistic skills that are frowned on by those in her community who believe a woman's place is in the home. Will she find an ally in the broody newcomer?

Will each of their journeys to self-worth end with romance in Christian County, Kentucky?

From me: The Journey is the first book in the Kentucky Brothers series. I started out very confused. Lots of people introduced in a small amount of time, only a sample of their history, no clue how they all connected together. There was a family tree in the beginning of the book, but honestly, those don't really help me much. I like to hear the history in black and white. I've never read Wanda's books before so maybe this was a stand-alone series that branched off from a previous series, I don't know. But it took me awhile to get into the book.

And then, the writing is very simple. I'm not sure how else to explain it. There's GOOD writing, the kind that pulls you in so fast you don't have time to set your children down with a movie so you can read all day. And then there's simple writing. It's the kind that moseys along. No good descriptions. Things happen suddenly with little warning. It's not my favorite. It's hard to get involved with. It leaves something to be desired.

With that said, it was interesting to read, yet again, another Amish story that was different. Titus was not your typical Amish man, he came across as a petulant child who complained (if only to himself) quite a lot. It was interesting to see him grow through this novel and form relationships in his new home. Suzanne was a fantastic character as well. And it was lovely not to hear mention of the Bann at all - yay!

Thanks to Planned Television Arts for offering me a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review!

1 comments:

Odie Langley said...

I am really impressed with how much you read Ali. I hope your boys will like to read as much as you do. It sure will help them if they do.