Monday, August 8, 2011

I'm Reading: The Shack














The Shack
by WM. Paul Young

About the Shack: Mackenzie Allen Phillips's youngest daughter, Missy, as been abducted during a family vacation and evidence that she may have been brutally is found in an abandoned shack deep in the Oregon wilderness. Four years later, in the midst of his Great Sadness, Mack receives a suspicious note, apparently from God, inviting him back to that shack for a weekend.

Against his better judgment he arrives at the shack on a wintry afternoon and walks back into his darkest nightmare. What he finds there will change Mack's world forever.

In a world where religion seems to grow increasingly irrelevant The Shack wrestles with the timeless question: Where is God in a world so filled with unspeakable pain? The answer Mack gets will astound you and perhaps transform you as much as it did him. You'll want everyone to know you read this book!


I am in tears every time I read this passage in the book; what amazing joy rises up when I look back at all my mistakes and realize; He rejoiced. Because I was closer.

A Quote: "'But why me? I mean, why Mackenzie Allen Phillips? Why do you love someone who is such a screw-up? After all the things I've felt in my heart toward you and all the accusations I made, why would you even bother to keep trying to get through to me?' 'Because that is what love does,' answered Papa, 'Remember, Mackenzie, I don't wonder what you will do or what choices you will make. I already know. Let's say, for example, I am trying to teach you how not to hide inside of lies, hypothetically of course,' she said with a wink. 'And let's say that I know it will take you forty-seven situations and events before you will actually hear me - that is, before you will hear clearly enough to agree with me and change. So when you don't hear me the first time, I'm not frustrated or disappointed, I'm thrilled. Only forty-six more times to go. And that first time will be a building block to construct a bridge of healing that one day - that today - you will walk across.'"


The Shack is fantastic! I can't even begin to explain how much of an impact this one book has had on my faith. It has taken everything I thought I knew about religion, God, Jesus...life and just turned it upside down. In a good way! I haven't even finished this book yet, but I couldn't wait another second to share it with you because The Shack is a LIFE-CHANGER. Read it!

3 comments:

Odie Langley said...

It is awesome Ali and towards the end I sat there and tears streamed down my face realizing how precious God's love is.

Kristie said...

Sounds like an amazing book! I'll have to add it to my list of books to read! :-)

OctoberRain said...

LOVE this book!!!