Monday, August 13, 2012

The Kingmaker's Daughter

 










The Kingmaker's Daughter
by Philippa Gregory

You guys, I cannot even begin to tell you how much I absolutely ADORE Philippa Gregory! It is so amazing how she takes a pile of exhausting historical facts and turns them into such a page-turning masterpiece! I'm always a bit overwhelmed in the beginning of her novels because there are ALOT of characters to get to know, but once I can keep all the Anne's, Richards, Edwards and so ons straight (original naming people, what is UP with naming every.single.child after the king and queen?! Holy cow) I'm basically out of commission until  I finish the novel.

The Kingmaker's Daughter is no different. I actually did not realize that this was in the Cousin's War series. You may remember that I reviewed Lady of the Rivers a while back - and loved it, of course. Well, my favorite characters from Lady of the Rivers play a key role in The Kingmaker's Daughter, but with a HUGE twist that I wasn't expecting. (I, obviously, do not read historical facts, ever LOL) I was actually really amazed at how well Philippa changed my entire opinion on a family from one book to the next. The Kingmaker's Daughter is full of all of the treachery, treason, wars and insane court life that Philippa and this specific time in history are known for. It was fantastic and had my attention from the moment I figured out which Edward belonged where (HAHA!) This is definitly a book that is worth the price and, while you're at it, just snatch up the whole Cousins' War series, because you're going to want to read them all!

Now, if you'll excuse me, I've gotta go find The Red Queen and The White Queen because I can't handle not reading the rest of the story!

"The Kingmaker's Daughter is the gripping story of the daughters of the man known as the "Kingmaker," Richard Neville, Earl of Warwick: the most powerful magnate in fifteenth-century England. Without a son and heir, he uses his daughters Anne and Isabel as pawns in his political games, and they grow up to be influential players in their own right. In this novel, her first sister story since The Other Boleyn Girl, Philippa Gregory explores the lives of two fascinating young women.

At the court of Edward IV and his beautiful queen, Elizabeth Woodville, Anne grows from a delightful child to become ever more fearful and desperate when her father makes war on his former friends. Married at age fourteen, she is soon left widowed and fatherless, her mother in sanctuary and her sister married to the enemy. Anne manages her own escape by marrying Richard, Duke of Gloucester, but her choice will set her on a collision course with the overwhelming power of the royal family and will cost the lives of those she loves most in the world, including her precious only son, Prince Edward. Ultimately, the kingmaker's daughter will achieve her father's greatest ambition."


I was given a free copy of this book in exchange for my honest review - thank you!

0 comments: